Having problems making a Multi Select parameter dependent on another parameter

(5 posts) (2 voices)

Tags:

No tags yet.

1. mydbramp, Member

Hi MyDBR Forum

I have been experimenting with linked parameters recently, and it seems to work nicely.

I seem to continuously run into issues with multi-select parameters though.

I know I cannot make a parameter field dependent on a selection made in a multi-select parameter ( I asked that question here earlier ) ... but does this also work the other way around?

Is it not possible to make the content of the multi-select dependent on a previous field in the parameter form?

Thanks for the excellent support you guys give.

- Anders -

2. myDBR Team, Key Master

You can have multi-select parameter content to be dependent on other choises. It works as any other connected parameter, nothing special there. What is the problem you are experiencing and how your parameters are set up?

--
    myDBR Team

3. mydbramp, Member

Here is what I have in the parameter form

Field 1:

Business Unit

Field 2: (Multi level, Multi Select)
    Major Brand 1
    ___Minor Brand a
    ___Minor Brand b
    ___Minor Brand c
    Major Brand 2
    ___Minor Brand d
    ___Minor Brand e
    ___Minor Brand f

... the list is long but I am sure you get the idea :)

What happens is when I first run the report everything displays as expected, I get my fields displayed as expected.
    But when I make a selection in Field 1 something odd happens in the dependent field 2.

All the first levels disappear and I am left with only the second level values. I thought perhaps that I had written my query incorrectly so I hardcoded the value for mydbr_param1 (field 1) into the query ... but the result was the same!

Field 1:

Business Unit

Field 2: (Multi level, Multi Select)
    Minor Brand a
    Minor Brand b
    Minor Brand c
    Minor Brand d
    Minor Brand e
    Minor Brand f

It seems the mere fact the mydbr_param1 is feed into (but not used) the stored procedure I have made to generate the options for the second field, is enough to break the functionality.

The multi-select behavior is the same whether or not I actually use the mydbr_param1 value.

4. myDBR Team, Key Master

Hi,
    we'll take a look at it.

In the meanwhile, you can use the actual parameter names as reference instead the old mydbr_paramX-syntax.

--
    myDBR Team

5. myDBR Team, Key Master

Hi,
    You can download the latest build which contains a fix for this. Thank you for reporting the issue.

The new build also includes new feature for dbr.calc: aggregate column references. See demo here.

--
    myDBR Team

You must log in to post.