New 4.4 Editor - Tab Issue

(12 posts) (3 voices)
  1. Ken, Member

When running the new editor in 4.4, when you press tab wanting to insert a tab in your text, it moves the ENTIRE line over a tab.

This is different than how inserting tabs worked in the prior editor (and in most other editors).

2. myDBR Team, Key Master

If the indentation method is set to use spaces, the tab is used to do the indent.

If you use tabs as indent, it will indent only when you select the line(s) or are in beginning of line.

--
    myDBR Team

3. Ken, Member

Other small issues noted so far with the editor:

1. When you are at the end of the line and press ENTER for a new line, you aren't placed correctly. The editor inserts a bunch of spaces as shown below where the "xxx" on the second line is an approximation of where you were placed when you started entering the x characters:

and (qa.timefinish > qa.timestart)
    xxx

2. I noticed that when you have -- comment leaders with a space following the two dashes, the color is not properly set. (minor issue)

3. Ctrl+right-arrow places you at the end of the word (before the white space). The previous editor placed you at the start of the next WORD (white spaces to the left of the cursor).

More later... :)

4. myDBR Team, Key Master

1) The cursor should be placed at the same level where your previous line started.

2) Comment lines are colored as comment. Do you get something else?

3) There are some differences between the old and the new editor.

--
    myDBR Team

5. Ken, Member

1. That would be OK since many editors code editors behave that way. But what I'm seeing is a different behavior.

2. Yes. If I have just "--" alone, the color is black. If I have "-- ", it's displayed in grey.

3. But there shouldn't be. Customer HATE change. ;)

Back to the original tabbing issue, where do I set the tab behavior? I'm probably missing it, but I can't see where I set editor tab behavior.

6. myDBR Team, Key Master

1. Can you send a your report code, and the line number where this happens, to support email. Could be code dependent.

2. '--' is not a comment. '-- ' is. Hence coloring.

3. If we wanted the old behavior, we would not have put in all the effort putting the new one in ;). Seriously though, all feedback is welcomed and there is more room for customization with the new editor.

The editor preferences wheel icon is on right, just below the help. You'll fin theme, indentation and keymap there.

--
    myDBR Team

7. Ken, Member

1. I can send some code... probably tomorrow since I'm late leaving already!

2. Roger that! But just so you know, apparently SQL considers them comments because there are no complaints when they are in the procedure. Maybe you want to make an exception for lines that only contain "--" and nothing else.

3. Yeah, I get enhancing products argument. We get get that same complaint with our product from time to time when we make changes. But in this case your change runs counter to most editors. In fact, I can't think of another editor that puts you at the END of the word. I've checked out Word, Dreamweaver, Notepad, Notpad++, Wordpad, Komodo... and they all position you at the first character of the word on Ctrl+right arrow. Your change introduces another keystroke for doing simple cut and paste edits.

Thanks for the pointer for the setting gear. I was looking on the main page settings sidebar and not on the edit screen. I will dig into that tomorrow and update here if any of the settings effect the way the tabs work.

8. Ken, Member

Oh, I switched to EMACS and for a brief minute I had my embedded tab insert back. But once I exited and selected another procedure to edit, now nothing happens when I hit TAB... :o

I will recreate these steps tomorrow and send an more details e-mail to support.

Miller time's a calling!

9. Ken, Member

Ah, the joys of software...

This morning tabbing seems to be working as expected. I did switch between kaymaps and I'm on the default one now... so I will keep tracking this and if it returns, I will send an e-mail to support.

I did send an e-mail to support on the new line insert issue.

Also, for the Ctrl+right-arrow issue, what is happening there is the editor is stopping at white space. So technically it is stopping at the first part of a word, but it is also stopping at white space, which is different than how how many other editors behave. I will send that to support too.

Oh.. Good morning! :)

10. myDBR Team, Key Master

Editor preference changes take effect only after editor reload. A note of this is added to the dialog.

--
    myDBR Team

11. spyhunter88, Member

1. The new editor has more better performance, not lag with many lines of code or open many tabs. Other, the new editor has good font.
    2. The issue I found is wrong indent when ENTER a new line, it take a lot of space, consume a half or my screen, not equals to the previous line. But it does not appear for a week ago.
    3. I am not familiar with Find and Replace function. The old one is easier to use, simple with Ctrl+F and Find Next or Replace button.
    I use Ctrl+F 1st time to go Find/Replace function, and the Ctrl+F 2nd time, it redirects to browser's Find function.
    And I dont know how to use Replace function, it's easier with 2 textboxes and a Find/Replace/Replace All button.

12. myDBR Team, Key Master

For 2), download the latest build. Editor was indenting in some cases to last open parentheses, which was not alwats wanted. We've turned this feature off in latest build and the result should be better in those cases.

To use Search you can either click the Search-icon or use Ctrl/Cmd-F (Cmd-F on Mac). Type the text you wish to find and press enter. Ctrl-G (Cmd-G on Mac) will find subsequent matches.

Seach/Replace works similarly. Type Ctrl-Alt-F (Cmd-Alt-F on Mac) or click the Search/Replace-icon to start the action.

Note that the keyboard shortcuts work when you are in the editor window.

--
    myDBR Team

You must log in to post.