Resultsets displaying faster in myDBR SQL editor than in the GUI

(11 posts) (2 voices)

Tags:

No tags yet.

1. apao, Member

Hello everyone,

I have a procedure returning 40000 lines which tends to hang my PC when I launch it in the user interface while it works fine when I launch if from the SQL editor of myDBR.
    Would it be due to a "layout template" being different and lighter in the SQL editor (in fact, I also noticed that numbers are not formatted the same way) and, in that case, how can I use this layout template in the user interface?

Thanks for your help.

Best regards.

2. myDBR Team, Key Master

The difference between the SQL Editor output and the report output is that in report output the JavaScript attached to handle the sorting will take its's time.

You seldom need to display 40000 rows in a report as no user can go the data through. If you really want to display 40000 rows, you might want to consider turning off sorting by using dbr.nosort-command.

--
    myDBR Team

3. apao, Member

Thanks for your answer.

Indeed, it's a little better with the dbr.nosort-command but still far slower than what I have in the myDBR SQL Editor. Furthermore, I noticed that the SQL Editor displays numbers correctly (1 is displayed as 1, 1.1 as 1.1, 1.11 as 1.11, 1.111 as 1.111) while there some kind of formatting in the resultsets generated by the user interface (1 is displayed as 1.00, 1.1 as 1.10, 1.11 as 1.11, 1.111 as 1.110).
    Wouldn't it be possible to keep the SQL Editor display (which is fast and has no number-formatting) for the user interface?

4. apao, Member

1 is displayed as 1.00, 1.1 as 1.10, 1.11 as 1.11, 1.111 as 1.110

Made a typo. 1.111 is displayed as 1.11, not 1.110.
    In fact, the problem is there's a 2-digit-formatting for decimal values.

5. myDBR Team, Key Master

myDBR formats the report output with default formatting to speed up report writing. For decimals, the default formatting is two decimals. If you want something else than the default formatting, you can define your own formatting.

The difference with SQL Editor output and the report output is that the report output is formatted (locale, user defined formats etc). The SQL Editor output is just a raw data from the queries.
    --
    myDBR Team

6. apao, Member

Thanks for your answer.
    And isn't there any way to use these raw data (with no formatting) for the report output?

7. myDBR Team, Key Master

As said, you can reset the default formatting to your liking.

--
    myDBR Team

8. apao, Member

How do you do this? I have been searching the documentation but am not sure to have found what I needed. What I want is to change the default formatting of each and every report so that guys crafting reports do not have to specify anything about it in the stored procedures of their reports.

9. myDBR Team, Key Master

What is the problem you are trying to solve?

What do you want to format? Floating numbers, integer numbers, dates, datetimes?

Please note that the report output is locale aware. If a user uses settings where (s)he wants the floating numbers to be formatted with comma and thousand separator to be a space a number 12345.12, would be formatted as "12 345,12", whereas another user's settings may format the number with dot and comma, resulting "12,345.12".

Same applies with dates. A user may want to use "dd/mm/yyyy" whereas the other uses "mm/dd/yyyy".

myDBR takes the locale setting into account when additional processing is being done for data (sorting, editing passing data to another report as parameter etc).

--
    myDBR Team

10. apao, Member

In fact, I would like to display data just like they are in the SQL Editor, to improve the displaying speed of my reports.
    If I correctly understood what you told me yesterday, data are not formatted in the SQL Editor so I need to apply "something" (like a default template?) to disable the current formatting but I do not know exactly how to do and how to apply it by default.

11. myDBR Team, Key Master

When a report is run, there are plenty of other things myDBR does vs a straight data dump from the database. This also includes quite a few other things than formatting.

The report rendering speed should not be an issue. Please note that if you display a table with 40000 rows in a browser, it will take some time to render also.

What is the purpose for a report with 40000 rows? User will have hard time trying to take advantage of such data amout.

--
    myDBR Team

You must log in to post.