Add a vertical line to an MSLine Chart

(9 posts) (2 voices)

Tags:

1. wattsm, Member

Hi,

I have an MSLine chart which tracks pageviews over different dates. We also have information for when business events occurred.

Is there a way to add a solid vertical line at these dates on the same graph? That way we can see how the pageviews affect the business events.

At the moment I'm just plotting these business events as points with a very high value, but this isn't ideal. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    Martin

2. myDBR Team, Key Master

Can you show an example what do you mean by "add a solid vertical line at these dates"?

--
    myDBR Team

3. wattsm, Member

Hi,

Thanks for the reply.

I currently have something like this:
    http://postimg.org/image/swn6cq8kv/

Where I have added a "Brief submitted" line that is at 1. However I do not want this to be a standard line, I would rather plot a vertical line like:

http://postimg.org/image/6lzbcrban/

I do not know the dates of these "Brief Submitted"'s before running the query, and there may be 0 or many of them, so I would need some kind of dynamic solution if it is possible.

Thanks,
    Martin

4. myDBR Team, Key Master

What is the purpose of the "Brief submitted" line? What does the vertical line stand for? What is the data behind it?

--
    myDBR Team

5. myDBR Team, Key Master

What is the purpose of the "Brief submitted" line? What does the vertical line stand for? What is the data behind it?

--
    myDBR Team

6. wattsm, Member

The Brief Submitted line corresponds to a business event that the client initiated.

We would like a graph that shows the (many) page views/actions over a time period, and then the solid line would be an indication that they initiated a business event at that date. (Usually the brief submitted will occur roughly 2/3 of the way along the time period we have).

This can be plotted as a line, but we don't know the scale before-hand - for example:
    A) User generates dozens of actions over two days and then creates 1 business event. In the following week a hundred or so actions are created each day.
    B) User generates a single action the day before creating the business event and then a dozen or so actions in the days afterwards.

This might be able to help us work out the trends of actions carried out before certain key business events are initiated.

Do you have any idea of how this might be possible? I know there's a lot of chartwizard stuff that's available but I'm not sure if it can be applied here.

Thanks,
    Martin

7. myDBR Team, Key Master

Trying to ask different way.

What is the data behind the vertical lines you have?
    Do you have more than one vertical line?
    Do you know at which position (date) you will place the line(s)?
    How tall will the lines be? To top? To certain value?

--
    myDBR Team

8. wattsm, Member

The vertical lines are determined by the result of a query, so there can be 0, 1 or many of these lines at different dates returned by the query.
    I'd like the lines to stretch up to the top of the graph.

Thanks,
    Martin

9. myDBR Team, Key Master

Martin,
    you can use MSColumnLineDY-chart to draw the vertical lines.

Make sure you are running the latest version so you can use the 'bargap' option also in this chart.

--
    myDBR Team

You must log in to post.