Cloud usage

(6 posts) (2 voices)

Tags:

No tags yet.

1. elb98rm, Member

My understanding of the myDBR licensing model is as follows:

With a licence you get:

• The ability to have one connection to a one host

I'm looking to set up a myDBR premium licence (see other thread I started), but the solution will be in the cloud. Being in the cloud this makes for an interesting set of issues.

For example:

• Is the licence PER HOST, per PHP installation, or both? So, for example: can I have multiple php servers connecting to a DB server setup, then does one licence cover two versions of the php layer of the software?
    • There's the possibility of us switching between various flavours of the system. I presume the DB layer is the only thing that actually "remembers" where it's at [apart from basic config], and so I would imaging this to be ok... Is it?
    • Independent of the licence, can we set up the software to have two PHP installs to speak to the same databases? I presume the software wont like having two concurrent connections to the myDBR database (we might have two separate instances of a server talking to the same host). And by this, I don't mean "can I have two myDBRs stored on the same host, I mean: can I have two myBDR PHP layers connecting to the SAME myDBR database layer - the same actual database.
    • DB Server replication shouldn't cause a problem. Or does it?

I think I know the answers to the technical questions above (flavours: yes, multi db connection: no, replication problems: no). However I had a quick look at the documentation, and the licence situation isn't clear.

I'm asking specific questions about a vague situation: here it is in some more detail to help you work this out:

We have an Amazon cloud account.
    It has a server for PHP and a server for MySQL.

We would like to run several databases, and they will likely reside on the MySQL server together.
    The PHP server is probably our only environment BUT we may need to run two PHP servers for security/access/environment reasons as we consolidate our various antiquated systems to the cloud.
    We want to use myDBR to be the reporting program for all our new systems under development... Of course, it's possible we might need to run parallel php server instances and connect to a single host. We're aiming to not have to, but load/security etc may well dictate that we do.

If you could let me know the above that would be appreciated - Also, if the answers are eoncouraging - perhaps you could mention it: it's a big selling point to be cloud "compatible".

Cheers
    Rick

2. myDBR Team, Key Master

Hi,

- licence:
    myDBR is licensed per installation. The installation covers both the PHP and database part. The license key is tied into the host name (and in some cases to the installation path).

- "There's the possibility of us switching between various flavours of the system"
    What does this mean? You have a separate versions of the db?

- two PHP installs to speak to the same databases:
    What would be the purpose of this? Different hostnames? If you have two myDBR installations talking to same myDBR, this would technically work ok, but you would have to make sure the PHP installations would be running at exactly same versions as PHP part and the database part work together. This is not normal use case though.

- DB Server replication:
    How are you planning to use the replication? If you simply have a replication up in the database, it is fine with myDBR. myDBR just needs write access to the myDBR database and read access to the database you are reporting from.

--
    myDBR Team

3. elb98rm, Member

- "There's the possibility of us switching between various flavours of the system
    What does this mean? You have a separate versions of the db?"

This means: we may have two favours of the web environment.
    To take a hypothetical: a "high load" arrangement optimised system with increased memory/cpu power (easily selectable via the cloud options), and a standard arrangement (which of course is likely to be a lot cheaper!). I can swap these with a button click in the cloud... so on some launch day I might need more oomf. When this demand is over I can switch back and save some money.

The DB is a separate server, and is still "one host". The multiple PHP installs, but NOT used synchronously.
    The point: depending on which version of the php server we turn on, there will be two different php folders being actually executed.
    A gaming example of what I'm on about, you can install WoW on as many machines as you want: but you can only play the game once at a time... So no synchronous use, but unlimited installs.

"- two PHP installs to speak to the same databases:
    What would be the purpose of this?"

I know these are more obscure questions, but hey:

The above is an example: there's a lot of possibility for for truly unique environments in a cloud with items such as security, performance and so on able to be considered on a "server per app" basis. All of these apps would use the same DB, but the respective php servers might use their own virtual hardware, security and other setups.
    In the cloud it's *really* easy and quick to just have a server up an running (or indeed dormant).

So - for some reason (and I'm aware I'm pulling weird examples here), lets imagine that I want to have several php installs of the myDBR that talk to the same database: perhaps for security.

Here's an example of why I'd want that: say I want to "simulate single sign in within the systems", so I'd authenticate via a URL as you support. I'd use the URL to drop them in an appropriate group: so finance could only view finance data etc....
    The authentication for the site generating the URL for these different systems might be different (eg - active directory, facebook etc).
    My aim is to use a server local [and thus session valid] version of the PHP directory and connect them all together so I can enforce context specific logins and behaviour in that way.

This is multiple PHP installs, single host, used synchronously.
    Is this still once license?

I'm aware this isn't a standard use case. But it may be soon... the cloud is *far* better in a whole host of approaches and I have a feeling it'll do well and these questions will get asked more :) Consider it a heads up!

"- DB Server replication:"
    Roger - I thought as much: just checking... I didn't want to give the go ahead and get a problem :)

Hope that helps you understand what I'm asking.
    Cheers again.

PS - I hope it's ok, cause I'm starting to like the product!

4. elb98rm, Member

PS: I am also aware there may be workarounds/other approaches to what I've asked... I'm simply asking questions to get a product understanding :)

5. myDBR Team, Key Master

You would need only one license if you just change your setup and do not access the service from multiple locations. Beware though that PHP version and the database version of the application go hand in hand.

Having multiple instaces of myDBR (PHP end) accessing same database would work if you have same setup between setups (as myDBR stores the setups in the database). If you would run a setup like this, you would need a separate license for each concurrent setup. As said, this would be quite unusual way to do things. Easier way to handle things would be to have a different setup for tests.

--
    myDBR Team

6. elb98rm, Member

Ok, great. Thanks for the info!
    I think we'll go for a DB/php server pair, but as I mentioned I'm just exploring the options, as the cloud gives us a lot of room to manoeuvre!

Cheers
    Rick

You must log in to post.