Heterogeneous queries require the ANSI_NULLS and ANSI_WARNINGS options to be set for the connection.

(6 posts) (2 voices)

Tags:

No tags yet.

1. SteveD, Member

When I try to save the following in the report editor I get the error message Heterogeneous queries require the ANSI_NULLS and ANSI_WARNINGS options to be set for the connection and it wont save.

IF object_id('sp_DBR_FindGRNLocation','P') IS NOT NULL DROP PROCEDURE [sp_DBR_FindGRNLocation] GO CREATE PROCEDURE sp_DBR_FindGRNLocation @iGRN int, @iItem int AS BEGIN /* EXEC ABS.dbo.qselAllGRNItemLocationsForLocationGridByGRNNoAndItemNo @iGRN,@iItem */ set ansi_nulls on set ansi_warnings on SELECT * INTO #MyTempTable FROM OPENROWSET( 'SQLNCLI','Server=localhost;TRUSTED_CONNECTION=YES', 'SET FMTONLY OFF; SET NOCOUNT ON; EXEC ABS.dbo.qselAllGRNItemLocationsForLocationGridByGRNNoAndItemNo 1234,0') SELECT * FROM #MyTempTable drop table #MyTempTable

END GO

If I move the set ansi_nulls and the set ansi_warnings statements to before the start of creating the procedure as shown below then the report editor lets me save the report OK, but when I attempt to run the report I get the same Heterogeneous queries require the ANSI_NULLS and ANSI_WARNINGS options to be set for the connection error message.

IF object_id('sp_DBR_FindGRNLocation','P') IS NOT NULL DROP PROCEDURE [sp_DBR_FindGRNLocation] set ansi_nulls on set ansi_warnings on GO CREATE PROCEDURE sp_DBR_FindGRNLocation @iGRN int, @iItem int AS BEGIN /* EXEC ABS.dbo.qselAllGRNItemLocationsForLocationGridByGRNNoAndItemNo @iGRN,@iItem */ SELECT * INTO #MyTempTable FROM OPENROWSET( 'SQLNCLI','Server=localhost;TRUSTED_CONNECTION=YES', 'SET FMTONLY OFF; SET NOCOUNT ON; EXEC ABS.dbo.qselAllGRNItemLocationsForLocationGridByGRNNoAndItemNo 1234,0') SELECT * FROM #MyTempTable drop table #MyTempTable

END GO

Even if I have the set ansi comments in both places (prior to the procedure create statement and after it) I still get the Heterogeneous error. Any advice of where else to put them? The database is SQL Server 2005 btw.

Thanks

2. myDBR Team, Key Master

Was there a reason for using the OPENROWSET? You have commented out the direct call to the procedure?

You can call the procedure from another procedure which sets the ANSI_NULLS and ANSI_WARNINGS on. You can see what your settings are by using the @@options variable.

select 'ANSI_WARNINGS' as 'Setting', case when ( (8 & @@OPTIONS) = 8 ) then 'ON' else 'OFF' end as 'Value'
    union
    select 'ANSI_NULLS', case when ( (32 & @@OPTIONS) = 32 ) then 'ON' else 'OFF' end

--
    myDBR Team

3. SteveD, Member

I need the results in a temporary table rather than just as is as I need to process them.

I know that this is probably just myself being dense by the way, but your included code is pretty much meaningless to me - Where would my call to OPENROWSET go in connection to your example?

4. myDBR Team, Key Master

You can put the result of a procedure into a temporary table using "insert into #table exec proc". No need to use the OPENROWSET.

--
    myDBR Team

5. SteveD, Member

Wouldn't I need to create and define the fields of the temp table in order to do that though? Using OPENROWSET does away with that need.

Even if I use the "insert into #table exec proc" where does that fit in with your example
    select 'ANSI_WARNINGS' as 'Setting', case when ( (8 & @@OPTIONS) = 8 ) then 'ON' else 'OFF' end as 'Value' union select 'ANSI_NULLS', case when ( (32 & @@OPTIONS) = 32 ) then 'ON' else 'OFF' end

6. myDBR Team, Key Master

You have two options:

1) Use the procedure directly and create the temp table first.
    2) Use OPENROWSET and call your procedure from another procedure which set the ANSI_NULLS and ANSI_WARNINGS on.

We'd recommend the first option.

--
    myDBR Team

You must log in to post.