Gantt chart and Calendar Functions

(13 posts) (3 voices)
  1. situ, Member

Hi

Are there any plans to consider support of Gantt charts and alongside that some calendar functions.

Not being being biased here but myDBR is a great tool in many respects but lacking functionality in these areas is cutting off quite a large usage base.

I'm not saying it is easy but it would be a great addition.

Does anybody think the same?

Keep up the good work.

2. myDBR Team, Key Master

Hi,
    Adding basic Gantt chart support would be fairly straightforward. The challenge is to make the Gantt chart support versatile enough to support multiple use cases.

What kind of calendar functions you would you like to see? You know that you can already do calendar UI's with existing functionality.

--
    myDBR Team

3. situ, Member

What I am looking to do is provide an interface to display scheduling and project related data.

For example a gantt chart view may show 20 or 30 project spread over a year, each project could need to be exploded into greater levels of detail. Projects would have a baseline view and an actual view, important both past and current scheduling. All typical gantt stuff I think baselines, dependencies, sub-levels, comments, resources etc. With a large complex gantt you need the ability to filter on projects that neet certain criteria and differing levels of detail. Ability to scale and change time periods would eb essential for large or multiple projects.

With a calendar view one could expect to combine project data into a day, week, month or year view with non project related events can be added for example holidays, maintenance periods, birthdays etc. With a busy calendar you would want to filter on events that match a certain criteria and differing levels of detail. Having time controlled/project controlled announcements and notifications be a key differentiator to most other tools.

A powerful level of detail would be to underly both the gantt and calendar functions with multiple sets of working hours, standard holidays etc. This would allow calendar views and projects to be tailored to specific countries and working weeks.

As for the input of calendar and project data, I would think this should be a secondary concern when it comes to viewing the data. In scenario I would link data entry into some external forms that fed into the database driving myDBR.

In summary I'm looking to use myDBR to analyse performance data and relate it back to the execution of a project.

These are the things I know I would like, if you think it would of value I can take a more complete and structured look at my own requirements.

Thanks for the response

4. myDBR Team, Key Master

We can take a look at supporting Gantt-charts. As for calendar, you can already do that with crosstables with some code.

--
    myDBR Team

5. situ, Member

Can you elaborate on what cross tables are? Is there somewhere I can see them in action?

Thx

6. myDBR Team, Key Master

Crosstable refers to report elements produced with dbr.crosstable command. You can format your data as a calendar using it. As an example:

We'll be also adding basic Gantt-chart support into the next release. As an example you will be able to do report elements like this:

--
    myDBR Team

7. situ, Member

I'm implementing a Gantt chart noe but not seeing any documentation of the features. Am I missing something? I checked online and downloaded the latest pdf.

I can see the demo example but I'm not sure what all the options and parameters are about.

I'm on myDBR 3.8.0 (build 1870), the dbr.chart option 'gantt' is errors with unknown chart type, this is what is on the demo site.

thx

8. myDBR Team, Key Master

We're updating the documentation with the gantt chart. For now, you can examime the options availabe in the demo reports. The demo version is myDBR 3.8.0 (build 1958) so you might want to run the updater.

--
    myDBR Team

9. situ, Member

Just ran the updater to build 1964 and gantt option now works.

Thanks

10. situ, Member

Is there any way I can control the height of the coloured bar in the chart?

In relation to the baseline bar height it is way out of proportion.

I have an auto y scale and do not want to have to run another query to identify the number of rows in the results in order to set the y size in order to get some sensible height of the gantt bar.

I would like to make the gantt bar 3 time the height of the baseline bar so the that the baseline bar sits nicely central in the gantt bar.

Thx

11. situ, Member

Sizing seems to be related to the x dimension. If you keep the gantt chart nice and square the proportions look nice. When you have many gantt lines, in other words a lot of records it looks odd.

Any thought on how to tackle this?

12. chiacy, Member

Hope you can share how to create such calendar as shown above in your reply. I am trying to do one for a month, as well as a year, but is not successful

13. myDBR Team, Key Master

Here you are.

--
    myDBR Team

You must log in to post.