How do I make reports on remote databases?

(10 posts) (4 voices)

Tags:

No tags yet.

1. jrifkin, Blocked

I must be missing something fundamental.

I've configured MyDBR to use a local database to store it's info, but I'd like to run a report on a remote database.

When I go to choose a database for my report, I don't see how to specify a remote database. I'm only able to select from a few local databases.

How do I add remote databases to the displayed list of databases?

Thanks.

2. myDBR Team, Key Master

Which database are you using?

myDBR is meant to to be installed into a database which resides under the same server as the actual data.

In MySQL this means that it needs to be under same database server, MS SQL Server allows server to be linked under one server thus allowing more flexibility for the applications.

--
    myDBR Team

3. jrifkin, Blocked

OK, that's what I needed to know ...

myDBR is meant to to be installed into a database which resides under the same server as the actual data.

Thanks.

4. gjsmith66, Member

It would be very helpful to access stored procedure on different servers, all managed on one server. We have several DB on a different server that we would like to link to from a main report. Maybe a way to specify server and stored procedure name? Should be pretty easy to support I would think.

Thanks,
    Gary

5. myDBR Team, Key Master

Hi,
    That really depeds on the database you are using. With SQL Server you can connect the servers together and therefore give a routine access to another server. The stored procedure is not just a subroutine that you can call from another server. In order to call a routine it must be installed into that particular server.

In order to have an centralized reporting server which can access all your databases, you can still take advantage of the SQL Server's linked server feature. Download the free SQL Server Express and connect your databases to it whether being MySQL, SQL Server, Oracle or pretty much any other database.

--
    myDBR Team

6. gjsmith66, Member

We are using MySQL, and it would be very helpful if we could specify the server that the SP is stored on. That way one installation of MyDBR could report off of many servers, we would not need to install MyDBR on each server. I am not sure why this would be very difficult, you would simply need to connect to the remote MySQL server with the proper credentials, execute SP, and use the resultset as MyDBR normally does. This would greatly increase MyDBR's functionality in larger installations.

Thanks.

7. myDBR Team, Key Master

I am not sure why this would be very difficult, you would simply need to connect to the remote MySQL server with the proper credentials, execute SP, and use the resultset as MyDBR normally does.

This would require the ability to have multiple servers talk to each other.

Stored procedures are not just code stored on server that you can execute against any chosen database. Stored routines are routines, that are specific to a particular database. This means that while myDBR could connect to another database, but any stored routines on another server would not be visible. This is simply limitation of MySQL. To go around the problem with MySQL one can use replication servers where one database acts as a replication server.

In Microsoft SQL Server multiple servers can be linked togther making it just one big server where single database connection can reach multiple servers. This is a feature called Linked Server. The servers can even be something else than SQL Servers (MySQL, Oracle etc).

--
    myDBR Team

8. brad@foreverybody, Blocked

I don't know why everybody is so unwilling to use the FREE version of sql server to accomplish this. Linked servers are awesome; we have 3 ms sql servers, 3 mysql servers, 1 oracle server, and 1 ms access database all linked together happily sharing data and having my dbr report across multiple servers in the same report is crazy useful. myDBR + linked servers has totally changed our companies mode of operation things are so smooth and in sync now.

as an alternative to sql server linked servers has anybody tried using mysql federated storage engine to link mysql servers? not nearly as easy/robust/versatile as sql server linked servers, but everybody complaining seems to be using mysql so maybe it would work for them.

9. gjsmith66, Member

MyDBR team,
    I still think you are missing my point. Today, MyDBR accesses one server, the stored procedures on that server are visible and are used by MyDBR to generate a report. What I am suggesting is that a stored procedure can be accessed that is on a second server, understanding that the SP on that server is only accessing the data on that server. I am not talking about accessing two servers within the same report. Simply having one report access a stored procedure on MyDBR's default server, and also being able to have a second report access a stored procedure on a second server, both reports being visible within MyDBR. These two reports would not share data in anyway.

This could be added simply by providing login credentials for the stored procedure when creating the report. If you are accessing data using SP from MyDBR server, accessing another SP from another server should be trivial.

10. myDBR Team, Key Master

Yes, that could be done. The myDBR installation and the database need not to be on same machine. You can have multiple myDBR's running on same machine accessing different databases.

Multiple database support could be added under same myDBR installation and UI. In addition to reports myDBR saves report structure (categories) handles users in database and some extra things. All this would need to be synchronized if multiple databases would operate under same UI. This could be done of course, but for now it is just easier to put mutiple myDBR's on same machine (this will not affect the performance in any ways). Since myDBR report are accessible with an URL, you could easily build a front end with reports to multiple sources.

Having a free Sql Server to act as a hub for all databases does also have the benefits. As Brad mentioned, you can even write reports that combine information with multiple databases and still have only one server to talk to.

--
    myDBR Team

You must log in to post.