Auto Incremental IDs when inserting new records?

(7 posts) (2 voices)
  1. michelles, Member

I created a procedure to create a new record in tables through an inline form. Right now there's an ID field that I need to fill out in order to add the record. How can I make this value automatic instead of having to enter it manually?

This is my code for the form (I have 2 tables - one for People and one for Email Addresses):

DROP PROCEDURE IF EXISTS sp_DBR_master_create $$ CREATE PROCEDURE sp_DBR_master_create( inID int, inFirst varchar(255), inLast varchar(255), inEmail varchar(255) ) BEGIN

INSERT INTO People (People.FirstName, People.LastName) VALUES (inFirst, inLast);

INSERT INTO Email (Email.PeopleID, Email.Email) VALUES (inID, inEmail);

select 'dbr.refresh', 0;

END $$

2. myDBR Team, Key Master

Hi,
    you can use MySQL's AUTO_INCREMENT attribute, which takes care of the ID field automatically:

http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.5/en/example-auto-increment.html

--
    myDBR Team

3. michelles, Member

Thanks. I should've mentioned that I've tried that, but I keep getting an error that says:

You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near 'AUTO_INCREMENT

Is there possibly another solution or a reason this is happening?

4. myDBR Team, Key Master

AUTO_INCREMENT is the easiest solution. Please check the code you were using for the syntax error. If you show the code, we shoud be able to help.

--
    myDBR Team

5. michelles, Member

Here's my code:

DROP PROCEDURE IF EXISTS sp_DBR_master_create $$ CREATE PROCEDURE sp_DBR_master_create( inID int NOT NULL AUTO_INCREMENT, inFirst varchar(255), inLast varchar(255), inEmail varchar(255) ) BEGIN

INSERT INTO People (People.PeopleID, People.FirstName, People.LastName) VALUES (NULL, inFirst, inLast);

SELECT * FROM People; SELECT LAST_INSERT_ID();

INSERT INTO Email (Email.PeopleID, Email.Email) VALUES (NULL, inEmail);

select 'dbr.refresh', 0;

END $$

And this is the error I get:

You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near 'NOT NULL AUTO_INCREMENT, inFirst varchar(255), inLast var' at line 2

Maybe it has something to do with how I'm linking this procedure in my report? Here's my code for the report:

DROP PROCEDURE IF EXISTS sp_DBR_master $$ CREATE PROCEDURE sp_DBR_master() BEGIN

select 'dbr.report', 'sp_DBR_master_edit', 'inline', 'inID=id', 'inFirst<=firstname', 'inLast<=lastname', 'inEmail<=email'; select 'dbr.report', 'sp_DBR_master_create', 'inline', 'ID=1'; select 'dbr.hdr', 'id';

SELECT People.PeopleID as 'ID[id]', People.FirstName as 'First Name[firstname]', People.LastName as 'Last Name[lastname]', Email.Email as 'Email[email]' FROM People JOIN Email ON People.PeopleID = Email.PeopleID ORDER BY People.PeopleID ASC; END $$

6. myDBR Team, Key Master

The AUTO_INCREMENT is an attribute for the table column, not the procedure paramerer. When you create table People you should mark the PeopleID column with AUTO_INCREMENT-attribute.

When you insert new row, the PeopleID is populated automatically. Take a look at the example from the MySQL documentation:

http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.5/en/example-auto-increment.html

--
    myDBR Team

7. michelles, Member

Hi,
    Sorry to be a bother, but is there a way to remove the ID field completely from the form (see above) so it just automatically gets set as the next number? No matter what number I put, it's set as a the next increment anyway.

You must log in to post.