Excel export column width control

(3 posts) (2 voices)
  1. situ, Member

Hi,

What controls do we have of column widths in the export to excel?

I know we have dbr.export.options, autosize with 0 or 1 but is this the only control?

If I format the report up to have appropriate column sizes on the web is there someway this can be reflected on export to excel. I guess that means translating pixel counts to some physical dimension.

The issue the users have is that every time they export to excel in order to make any use of the report they have to individually size all the columns. Can we improve their experience by setting some widths or proportions?

Your advice is much appreciated.

Edit... And how would this be impacted by column filters if at all?

2. myDBR Team, Key Master

The Excel column width is defined automatically based on data width. The width calculation is an approximation, so there might be cases where the column width is not optimal. If the you find the width difference to be repeatable, let us know, we'll try to adjust the calculation.

There is an export option which allows for you to set the column widths explicitly.

Command:

select 'dbr.export.options', 'colwidths', 20, 15, 5, 15;

will set column 'A' to be 20 characters, 'B' to 15 etc.

As setting the widths manually is extra work inside reports, might be better to adjust the automatic calculation if your needs are not specific.

--
    myDBR Team

3. situ, Member

Great answer, let me work this through and see what I find.

Thanks

You must log in to post.