Constantly Refreshing Report Hangs

(6 posts) (2 voices)

Tags:

No tags yet.

1. thewah, Member

I need some ideas.

Basically what we have is a report that we are displaying on TV's for the sales floor. It refreshes every X seconds and cycles through a number of tabs (on Firefox, this looks like a smooth scroll through the tabs).

It works great, looks awesome...BUUUT...it's not staying up. We keep getting either auto-logouts and it hangs, or the browser just hangs.

I'm wondering if there is a better way to achieve this result: a constantly, every 10-15 secs, refreshing report that will display for *at least* a few days before needing attention.

2. thewah, Member

Or, alternately, some suggestions on making it work more consistently.

3. myDBR Team, Key Master

Hi,
    there is really nothing in the timer that should cause browser hanging. It's is a basic JavaScript timer. Most likely that is a browser issue.

You can try if the same thing happens with a bit simplified version:

select 'dbr.javascript', 'setTimeout( "location.reload()", 30000 );';

This will tell the browser to reload after 30 sec.

--
    myDBR Team

4. thewah, Member

I realize that. I'm just wondering if there might be some tips for allowing this type of report to function more consistently. Or maybe some native functionality I'm missing that could achieve the same behavior.

5. myDBR Team, Key Master

Hi,
    You could try another browser or to try:

select 'dbr.html', '<meta http-equiv="refresh" content="30">';

This would do the same without JavaScript. If the cause of the problem is a memory leak in the browser, the result still could be the same.

--
    myDBR Team

6. myDBR Team, Key Master

Coming back to this one.

If you add the 'counter' parameter to the dbr.refresh command, you should see the counter in the report.

When your browser hangs, what is actually happening? Browser stops responding or the counter stops progessing. The logout should not happen as the client is active.

--
    myDBR Team

You must log in to post.