Procedure lost

(4 posts) (2 voices)

Tags:

1. I have had a premium license for several years, and use the software extensively.

Yesterday, I worked for hours on two linked reports for record editing. I have many of these working perfectly. The proc was nearly 100% final, and I added a command that I have never used: dbr.colstyle with the example param:

[overflow:hidden; white-space: nowrap; text-overflow:ellipsis; width: 200px;max-width: 200px;]

from the documentation.

Executed with no issue. I ran it and got the error message that the proc was not defined. Yes, it vanished. A lot of work lost.

So I rebuilt it from scratch. It calls a proc to do an edit, but no edits are done. I tried another similar proc that does edits and no edits are done. I have lost the ability to chain reports, it seems.

Do I reinstall? Using what method to preserve my years of work? That is the first issue. #2 is how do I avoid these sorts of deadly losses? I am now copying off the code to a text file, but this should not be necessary.

Thanks in advance.

2. myDBR Team, Key Master

Hi,
    databases do not store procedures that have syntax errors. When this happens myDBR will print out the error message in editor. This is the only situation where myDBR drops the procedure (a procedure needs to be dropped before it can be recrated).

myDBR stores the edited stored procedure versions (both valid and invalid versions) behind the "History"-button in case you make an error and fail to notice it.

So I rebuilt it from scratch. It calls a proc to do an edit, but no edits are done. I tried another similar proc that does edits and no edits are done. I have lost the ability to chain reports, it seems.

If the both procedures are there (the main one and the editing one), there is no reason why it would not work (unless there is an error). If you still have a problem, we would need additional information to be able to help.

If you want to make sure you are running the latest version, just run the updater. It will do a full install while it keeps the existing reports intact.

--
    myDBR Team

3. Errors in procs are shown in the editor when one presses Execute, yes? I did so, and there were no errors. Went to "Home", ran the proc, and it was gone. Nothing at all behind any of the tabs.

I understand what you are saying but it flys in the face of my experience.

4. myDBR Team, Key Master

If you lose a procedure while editing, check the "History"-button in editor. myDBR keeps separate list of recent commands run through the editor and created objects. So, even if you close the editor window you can bring back the edited version.

--
    myDBR Team

You must log in to post.