Running Report against Remote Database - Community vs Paid version

(5 posts) (2 voices)
  1. mechanimal, Member

Hi myDBR Support

We are currently doing some preliminary testing on the community version of myDBR prior to buying the full version.

What we hope to eventually achieve is to have myDBR sitting on its own LAMP stack server running reports against a remote database (only) server.

Using the community version of myDBR I was able to add the remote server, but when attempting to run reports against it, I get a message saying the schema I am attempting to report on does not exist.

Looking at the limitations of the community version that is not a surprise, as it does not have this feature enabled. Reading through the documentation I see that separate myDBR instances can communicate with each other, but I am not getting a clear picture on whether or not a single (full/paid) myDBR instance can run reports on a database schema located a remote server without having myDBR installed on the remote server.

Our remote server only has mySQL installed and we have no plans to install a PHP and/or Web Server component on it.

Will I be able to run reports against my remote standalone database server using my local myDBR instance (assuming it is a full/paid version)?

Kind Regards
    Anders M Pedersen

2. myDBR Team, Key Master

Anders,
    just to make sure we are talking about same thing here.

You can install myDBR application (the PHP part) on a web server running PHP and access a database server on another server in all versions (Community, Premium & OEM). myDBR database sits always on the database server. So if you have a web server and database server on different machines, you install myDBR application on web server and point the myDBR database to the database server where it can access data from all databases in the database server.

The remote server functionality on (Premium & OEM) talks to another myDBR instance in the net and can pull data from remote myDBR server (and the databases on the server) and combine it with the local data without the need to connect the databases together.

--
    myDBR Team

3. mechanimal, Member

That means I will have to move the myDBR database onto the standalone database server, which is fine.

Thank you for the reply.

Kind Regards
    Anders M Pedersen

4. mechanimal, Member

This does not seem to work. Here are the steps I have taken. For the sake of simplicity I have substituted the server names like this:

localserver.net : The local web server
    remoteserver.net : The remote database server

1) The downloaded mydbr directory has been copied to the /var/www/html/ (webroot) on the 'localserver.net' and the config file made writable (777).

2) I launch the wizard using http://localserver.net/mydbr and enter 'remoteserver.net' as host, 'mydbr' as reporting database, 'root' as admin and '<root_mysql_password>' as password.

3) The wizard says: "Unable to connect to the MySQL database:
    ERROR 1045: Access denied for user 'root'@'localserver.net' (using password: YES)
    Please make sure that you typed username and password correctly."

Why is it attempting to connect to a database on 'localserver.net'? I clearly specified the host as 'remoteserver.net'.

4) As I am not sure if the administrator should really be the mysql root user, I also attempted another approach by manually creating the mydbr database and user on the 'remoteserver.net' and then specifying the mydbr username and password in the wizard, but the result is the same (only the connect username is different):
    "Unable to connect to the MySQL database:
    ERROR 1045: Access denied for user 'mydbr'@'localserver.net' (using password: YES)
    Please make sure that you typed username and password correctly."

5) I also attempted to use the IP of the remote server in case the fully qualified domain name wasn't understood by the wizard and it therefore defaulted back to the local box, but the result was the same.

Any ideas?

Kind Regards
    Anders M Pedersen

5. myDBR Team, Key Master

The error message:

ERROR 1045: Access denied for user 'root'@'localserver.net'

means that the access for user name 'root' coming from machine 'localserver.net' has been denied. In MySQL, the access is granted per connection.

You can use the 'root' username, but we do recommend creating a separate user mydbr.

Go to the database server and issue following commands:

Create a mydbr user for connection localserver.net and grant all access to the mydbr database:
    mysql> grant all privileges on mydbr.* to 'mydbr'@'localserver.net' identified by 'password'

Grant read access to your database:
    mysql> grant select on mydatabase.* to 'mydbr'@'localserver.net';

Where localserver.net is the web server and mydatabase is the database where your actual data resides.

Best Regards,
    --
    myDBR Support Team

You must log in to post.