D3 Extension with Basic Graph

(9 posts) (3 voices)
  1. tardis89, Member

I am trying to start simple and make a D3 bar graph, but am having trouble finding documentation on how to do so. I know myDBR already has a bar graph, but eventually I want to make this more complex.

For simplicity's sake, take this D3 example.

I have the D3 extension enabled for my specific report.

In the documentation, there is only an example for creating a sankey chart. Is there an example anywhere on how to utilize the D3 library (select 'dbr.d3', 'chart_type'), but instead of a sankey, utilize my custom D3 plot code?

2. myDBR Team, Key Master

From D3, the Sankey chart is supported.

What is the functionality you wish to add on top of the normal bar chart?

--
    myDBR Team

3. tardis89, Member

I was going to eventually make a heat map that didn't utilize google maps or Here. We're trying to avoid the high cost of a google maps API license.

I also need to have a heat map that uses a local coordinate system and not latitude/longitude.

In addition to the heat map, I would want to have a local map drawn from points on the heat map.

Since this obviously isn't a core feature that is included in myDBR (unless using google maps), I was going to try utilizing other javascript libraries (including d3) to draw the heatmap that I was needing on my local coordinate system.

4. myDBR Team, Key Master

If you want to create a custom chart, you can do it as an extension. The d3/Sankey chart is an extension (source code is included).

--
    myDBR Team

5. harpef, Member

Did this query ever get resolved? I am intending to do some pretty serious work in 2016 with d3 embedded in myDBR, and would love to see some better, more clearly explained documentation on how to use the d3 extension. myDBR team - I think better explanations of how to build a d3 extension would really enhance your product. Chart Director is looking a bit dated now, d3 would really give myDBR a leg up. Any thoughts?

6. harpef, Member

another thought - sankey has limited use. Has anyone built a chord chart extension?

7. myDBR Team, Key Master

D3.js is a JavaScript library for DOM manipulation. While you can use it to build pretty much anything, it really serves different purpose than libraries specifically designed to do customizable traditional charts (like Chart Director).

D3.js is more lower level library and is better suited for dynamic charts developed for specific purpose and doing that is very straightforward. Building D3.js generic chart components with lots of options (like ChartDirector usage in myDBR), on the other hand, requires considerable amout of work.

Adding new D3.js diagram in myDBR, you extend the Ext_d3js class with your own implementation. The implementation itself simply creates the required JS data structures which you can use in actual D3.js diagram code. You can then link other myDBR reports to the created diagram as shown in Ext_d3Sankey example. Creating a D3.js extension does require knowledge on both PHP and JavaScript.

We are ready to add support for more D3.js diagrams if there is wider interest on specific charts or do custom development if you have specific needs.

--
    myDBR Team

8. harpef, Member

You are, of course, correct. A D3 data visualisation project is very different to common charting of the type you would use Chart Director for. I think wider support for D3 could take myDBR into the data visualisation area,

i have a need for chord diagram support for a project I am starting in mid January. My template is this -> https://www.google.com.sg/search?q=d3+chord+diagra%2Cm+coffee&rlz=1C9BKJA_enGB667&oq=d3+chord+diagra%2Cm+coffee&aqs=chrome..69i57.10758j0j7&sourceid=chrome-mobile&ie=UTF-8&hl=en-GB#imgrc=OiAXbp3r3stvbM%3A

Perhaps I could ask the community via this post if there is a wider interest for this?

9. myDBR Team, Key Master

We can add support for a chord chart, no problem. Please note that chord charts may vary considerably.

--
    myDBR Team

You must log in to post.