embed_url query

(5 posts) (2 voices)

Tags:

1. ajdjackson, Member

Hi and good morning.

I have an issue with my homepage dashboard.

The main_top.html is the following:

<p align="center" style="font-size:36px"><i>Hilmark Group MIS Dashboard</i></p>

<hr style="width:70%;border-bottom-width: 0px;">

<script type="text/javascript"> embed_url("http://xxxxxx.com/mydbr/report.php?r=43&m=2&h=bcbf9108bc85d123abc7eab5221b77394bff890b&i=1&hdr=0&embed=2", false); </script>

<hr style="width:70%;border-bottom-width: 0px;">

The stored procedure used to create the report is quite meaty - approx. 1000 lines but the MySQL database is small so there is not a huge number of records to read.

The issue I'm getting is that going to the homepage can result in the browser not responding. I resolve this by clicking in the address bar and hitting return. The page is then displayed in a few seconds. This happens across all browsers.

Hope you follow that. Any thoughts?

Cheers

JAke

2. myDBR Team, Key Master

Jake,
    how long does the embedded query execute as a standalone report? if you replace it to something easier, will it work then (i.e is the problem in the slow execution)?

--
    myDBR Team

3. ajdjackson, Member

Hi

Yes I was thinking along the same lines.

Standalone execution takes about 8 secs although it always displays whereas embed_url can result in just a blank page.

Cheers

Jake

4. myDBR Team, Key Master

What is the browser you are using? Different browsers handle the Ajax timeouts bit differently (notably Safari). By default the embed_url makes the Ajax call synchronously, so the user gets the page and the dashboard at the same time.

What you can do is to change the last parameter in embed_url to true, which will make the dashboard Ajax call asynchronous. This will make the main page to show up directly and the dasboard report when the report execution finishes.

Optimal situation for the user is that if the dashboard report would be fast (no need to wait / no time gap between the report list and dasboard report).

--
    myDBR Team

5. ajdjackson, Member

Hi

Well that made the page load fast - at least the bottom half :)

The hanging happens across a variety of browsers - Edge, IE11, Chrome etc

The only version of Safari I've tried it on is on the iPad or iPhone.

I think I need to have a good look at the dashboard report and see if it can be optimised/simplified.

Thanks

Jake

You must log in to post.