User of creation/modification of a report

(6 posts) (2 voices)

Tags:

No tags yet.

1. apao, Member

Hello everyone,

could it be possible to know the user who created a report and the last user who modified it?

Best regards.

2. myDBR Team, Key Master

Hi,
    there is no changelog in the reports (you can edit the report procedure with any tool, not just with myDBR itself). We can add it as a feature request.

--
    myDBR Team

3. apao, Member

Thanks for your answer.
    You are right but to edit the report procedures without myDBR, you need access to mydbr database itself, so this is (very) restrictive (more than having admin rights in mydbr).

But which user would you take into account exactly: the user of creation (and the last user of modification) of the report procedure OR of the report itself?
    In fact, both might be interesting to keep track of.

4. myDBR Team, Key Master

In terms of database acess, having access to myDBR admin is the same as you would have direct access to the database. You can do the same things with myDBR as you can with a specific client / command line.

If you have multiple myDBR report writers, the best approach is to use version control system to manage the changes. You can use myDBR tools (mydbr_sync, saving the code) to help the process.

--
    myDBR Team

5. apao, Member

You are right but to edit the report procedures without myDBR, you need access to mydbr database itself, so this is (very) restrictive (more than having admin rights in mydbr).

In terms of database acess, having access to myDBR admin is the same as you would have direct access to the database. You can do the same things with myDBR as you can with a specific client / command line.

I think you misunderstood ;-)
    What I meant was that there were fewer people that had direct access to the mydbr database than people that had admin rights in mydbr.
    So if I can keep track of people modifying report procedures via mydbr, this will do the trick since very few people could modify them in the database itself.

If you have multiple myDBR report writers, the best approach is to use version control system to manage the changes. You can use myDBR tools (mydbr_sync, saving the code) to help the process.

Not sure what you mean. What I need is a way to know the author and last modifier of a report, but I can't ask them any additional task besides writing reports. For the time being, I just ask them to write down their names in the description of the report but I would need a more automated way to do so.

6. myDBR Team, Key Master

Not sure what you mean. What I need is a way to know the author and last modifier of a report, but I can't ask them any additional task besides writing reports. For the time being, I just ask them to write down their names in the description of the report but I would need a more automated way to do so.

If you have more than one person who author the reports, you might want to consider to use version control system (git or a like) to store the report versions that they create. This way you can track precicely who has made which modifications and when and why. It is more of a process issue than a tool issue. Committing the changes to a version control system does not really add much work.

--
    myDBR Team

You must log in to post.