Redirect URL possible?

(7 posts) (2 voices)

Tags:

1. duane, Member

Hi. I want to build a simple system to track click-throughs (I give out a URL, people click, it records that click and passes people on to the final URL). Is there a way to do this in myDBR? I couldn't find a command reference.

Should I perhaps be looking at creating a php 'extension'? If so, any tips on how to do this? Or a meta-refresh? Javascript redirect? What would be best?

2. myDBR Team, Key Master

Duane,
    will the final URL be a myDBR report or something else? How do give out the URL?

All myDBR report executions are logged into statistics so you can track executions from there.

--
    myDBR Team

3. duane, Member

No - the final URL will be external...otherwise I would use the internal statistics/reports!

The URL will be embedded in an email and/or in a listing (the listing hosted in myDBR)

4. myDBR Team, Key Master

When the URL is sent in email, the only way to track the click is to use URL whose exection would identify the user via URL parameter and do counting based on that. If the URL points to myDBR, you can do the calculation and redirect user to the final external URL. The method would be same if the system doing the counting would be other than myDBR.

--
    myDBR Team

5. duane, Member

The click tracking won't be a problem (I provide a URL pointing to a mydbr report with an id which selects the URL to redirect to and stores the information I need).

What I can't figure out is if there is a 'native' way for mydbr to redirect to the final external URL - or if I have to use a meta refresh, javascript redirect or develop an extnsion to make the redirect happen.

6. myDBR Team, Key Master

You can use JavaScript for the redirect:

select 'dbr.javascript', 'window.location.replace("http://mydestination.com"); ','onload';

--
    myDBR Team

7. duane, Member

Ah - that was the trick. Thanks!

You must log in to post.