Creating myDBR report procedures under different users

(4 posts) (2 voices)
  1. nsepetys, Member

Hello myDBR Representative,

How are you doing this week? I know it is required to create a report procedure under the username that myDBR was installed under. I understand one main reason is for security purposes. However, in a environment where we may have multiple report developers it is helpful to provide specific database access for certain users. In addition, it would be helpful for source control purposes. This way we can have source control over the code that is on the platform and avoid developers stepping on each other toes during the development phase.

Is it possible that, in the future, we could add additional "report creators" through some method? Maybe through the myDBR admin interface?

As always, thanks for your consideration,
    Noah

2. myDBR Team, Key Master

Having different routines under different creator in MySQL, would bring quite a bit extra overhead with permisson handling and would require myDBR itself to have direct access grant to MySQL system tables in order to pull needed information out. It also would complicate using shared code in development, so likely after all the work needed the downsides would outweight the benefits.

--
    myDBR Team

3. nsepetys, Member

Interesting... I guess I will have to take your word for it. It appeared to me that myDBR already had access to system tables based on the fact that it knows which user has created the report stored procedure. Are we talking about access to the INFORMATION_SCHEMA or sys schema tables? Because as is the myDBR user appears to require INFORMATION_SCHEMA access.

4. myDBR Team, Key Master

INFORMATION_SCHEMA access is considered normal access and requires no additional privileges.

Unfortunately not all information myDBR requires is available from INFORMATION_SCHEMA or separate commands "show create..." if the creator is someone else than the myDBR user. In that case additional permssions would be required for mysql-database (proc) and this would be difficult on systems on shared systems.

--
    myDBR Team

You must log in to post.