replicating mydbr setup

(9 posts) (4 voices)

Tags:

1. eugfri, Member

hi,

What is the best way to replicate existing mydbr setup onto another set of Apache/MySQL servers?
    I already installed mydbr in the new environment and activated the license, I have backed and and restored my database, but how would I go about backing up and restoring mydbr database on the new MySQL server?
    Can I just backup mydbr product db with code and structures and then restore it and simply update the license?

Thank you

Eugene

2. myDBR Team, Key Master

To move a myDBR installation, simply dump the database with routines and restore the dump to the new server. From myDBR application, copy the user-directory and the config file.

--
    myDBR Team

3. Gondwana, Member

Eugene,

This sounds like you are trying to manage myDBR as you would any other software, with development, test, and production environments. All environments need to be identical. Sadly, myDBR's update-du-jour can throw a wrench into the works.

Several years ago I solved this problem. I'm a little rusty on the solution details because I have not done much work in the area recently. But I'll try to give you as many hints as possible.

My development system was used for all myDBR updates and report/function creation/updates. The myDBR files were copied into a source library, SVN in my case. The report procedures and functions were created and maintained outside myDBR (in Eclipse and SVN.) I found it too easy to lose source if all development is done in myDBR. This places everything under source control. Table contents, such as mydbr_folders_priv, mydbr_folders, mydbr_reportgroups, mydbr_reports_priv, mydbr_reports and mydbr_styles were also exported as sql and managed by SVN. There may also be a few files in the mydbr user tree you will want to manage in your source management system.

To update a test system to match the development environment, my cloudy memory tells me I went to the top of the tree and did an SVN command to update the entire tree. (I may have actually maintained a tree for my code, and a different tree for myDBR's code.) This is where it gets hazy. I think, once I had updated the myDBR source into the tree, I could start up myDBR and run the update, without downloading their update-du-jour.

Then I had a php script that, after signing into the database, would update all the db procedures, functions and tables as if being done by myDBR. After that, testing could begin. The same process was used for all migrations, including into production when everything was approved.

This was a big time saver. Hope this helps.

4. myDBR Team, Key Master

Managing a development/staging/production system is now much easier with the synchronization functionality introduced in 4.7.0.

--
    myDBR Team

5. eugfri, Member

Thank you very much Gondwana and Key Master!

This is exactly what I am trying to accomplish and I have not tried mydbr_sync utility yet. My system is also growing in terms of amount of source code and its getting hard to manage without SVN/CVS/Git etc. When when I am in download section of the site and try to download the sync utility, the link only gets me LICENSE.TXT file and nothing else.
    Could you please fix the download link?

It is my understanding that mydbr_sync only helps with the DB code in mydbr schema, but does not do anything with the data in the tables, i.e. if I add new user role, report perms etc, and want to replicate it to another environment automatically, it is on me to generate SQL so it can be checked into source code control system.

6. myDBR Team, Key Master

The extra space in download link has been fixed. Thank you for pointing this out.

To manage different versions of reports (version control via git), the easiest solution is to use mydbr_sync, which extracts the reports / procedures as separate files making it easier to push to version control.

Reports do include more than the reports code (parameter queries / definitions, defaults, permissions etc). To backup all this, you can use the database backup.

To move development code to staging / production environment, you can use the Synchronization option introduced in 4.7.0. This will create a SQL file of all reports (including all parameters / permissions / defaults / templates etc). This allows for you to copy incremental changes easily.

The third option is to dump selected tables from myDBR. This will allow for you to make exact copy of the report structure.

--
    myDBR Team

7. eugfri, Member

Thank you!

8. itronic, Member

Hi,

do I need a extra license for a test sever for example?
    Or is there another way to create a separate environment for testing?

9. myDBR Team, Key Master

myDBR is licensed per installation. If you set up another myDBR installation, you will need a license for that.

You can test the reports in live environment before publishing those, but depending on the needs that you have, a separate testing server can be the good solution. It really depends on your processes and setup.

--
    myDBR Team

You must log in to post.