Parameter Area Customization / Selectable Icons

(9 posts) (2 voices)
  1. jjr, Member

Hi,

Is there a way of creating a report where the parameters can be changed by clicking user-defined icons (or even just selectable text), rather than lists/radio buttons/checkboxes/etc? All of these need a selection, followed by a button press and don't show the available options in such a concise/graphical way.

Apologies if I've missed something obvious but I am struggling to find a way to do this and in general it seems to me that the Parameter Area of a report isn't very customizable on a report-level basis. Is this (or something similar), even with custom html/development?

Thank you as ever for your great support,

Justin

2. myDBR Team, Key Master

myDBR uses standard HTML elements (lists/radio buttons/checkboxes etc). What kind of concise/graphical representation are you looking for? Do you have an example?

--
    myDBR Team

3. jjr, Member

Hi,
    I'm interested in using clickable images or clickable text (e.g. a tags) as you might be able to do if you wrote your own HTML form.
    Is this possible / Is there a workaround?
    Thanks,
    Justin

4. myDBR Team, Key Master

How would the clickable images or clickable text look like? What kind of output would be out of those clicks? An example page?

--
    myDBR Team

5. jjr, Member

Hi, thanks for bearing with me.

What I'm envisaging is this:
    -Images/Text could be anything you specify and each one when clicked selects a parameter value you that you specify (perhaps by using your Default Values functionality, or if necessary by linking to a hard coded value), so that clicking the icon/text updates the chart in the same way as selecting the value from a dropdown list and pressing the Select button.

I've mocked up a example graphic (a demo page would take too long to hook up and hopefully this is sufficient to help explain what I mean).

My normal report might look something like this:

The adjusted report might look something like this:

So basically I'm just wondering if it is possible to do this (I'm not asking for a new feature, just if there is any way to get this working myself)?

Thanks, Justin.

6. myDBR Team, Key Master

You could use inline linked reports to do similar thing. In that case, your parameter selections would be linked reports whose output is directed to the chart area below.

--
    myDBR Team

7. jjr, Member

Hi, ok, thanks, yes I can see how that might work and I can get this working to some extent.
    However, is there a way to get linked reports to 'autoexecute' in the same way as normal reports with parameters? (i.e. I'd like the linked report to run with a specific parameter so that it appears when you open the page without having to click on a link in the first report first).
    This is the last element in producing the functionality that would match the original reports, but I can't find a way to do this in the documentation.
    Thank you again,
    Justin

8. myDBR Team, Key Master

Justin,
    you can click the link via JavaScript when the page opens.

--
    myDBR Team

9. jjr, Member

Awesome. Thanks.

You must log in to post.