Knowing which users are connected

(10 posts) (2 voices)

Tags:

No tags yet.

1. apao, Member

Hello,

For maintenance issues, I'd need to know if (and which) users are currently connected to myDBR.
    Is there a way to do so?

Thanks in advance for sharing knowledge.

2. myDBR Team, Key Master

There is no separate info on users who are logged in. You can look at the statistics table and see who have run the reports in past 10 min or so.

--
    myDBR Team

3. apao, Member

Thanks for your answer.
    Do you think it would be possible to add such a possibility in the future?

The ideal thing would be a control panel for the administrators:
    - to be able to see who is connected
    - to be able to put myDBR into "maintenance mode", which would prevent anyone else but admins to log in

4. myDBR Team, Key Master

Hi,
    an "connected"-concept is bit ambiguous on web applications. Many of the users logged in do not actually log out, their session just expires after an inactivity period.

What is the need for the maintenance mode?

--
    myDBR Team

5. apao, Member

Maintenance mode would be useful when I have big changes to make in the application. For instance, today, I had to activate the following option in the user/defaults.php file:
    $mydbr_defaults['parameters']['empty_numeric_results_null'] = true;
    But it of course meant that several reports would no longer work so I needed to be sure that no one would try to use these reports before I had corrected them.

This is just an example.

PS: a "connected"-concept based on sessions would be ok for me. Admins can set the "session lifetime" in the environment settings so this seems rather coherent.

6. myDBR Team, Key Master

If you want the application to be functional for admin users but show maintenance mode for other users, you can do it in the server side by pointing the myDBR access page to another place while the normal access point would show the maintenance notification.

--
    myDBR Team

7. apao, Member

Yes, that would be some kind of solution. But that would still require to be sure no one was alreay logged before the myDBR access page was moved. Hence the need for some kind of control panel showing who is online.

8. myDBR Team, Key Master

Why would you need to know if users are logged in before myDBR access page would be moved (other than informing users that you are about to do maintenance which you can already do with the notifications)? When you enter the maintenance mode, users will be shown the maintenace screen.

"Logged in user" in myDBR type web environment is more of a "who has run reports lately" where "lately" is a time scale you define.

--
    myDBR Team

9. apao, Member

What I don't want, when I move the myDBR access page, is already-logged-in users to be able to run reports.

10. myDBR Team, Key Master

Each request to the web server is treated separately. If you move myDBR location (point the access to a maintenance page), user will be served the content from that location. Logged in status (=user session) has not affect on this.

Create a new location with index.php and report.php and serve the maintenance notification from those files. As admin, you can access myDBR from another (moved) URL.

We can take a look if this could be a built-in feature in myDBR.

--
    myDBR Team

You must log in to post.