popup underneath accordion using IE 8

(8 posts) (2 voices)

Tags:

No tags yet.

1. This is happening for me.

In IE8 when I put an embedded popup link in the first section of an accordion using 'dbr.accordion' command, The popup shows up below the accordion header for the second accordion section. Works fine in Firefox, Chrome and Opera. In IE, it remains there blocking the report unless you move it above or below that accordion section.

Using:
    myDBR 2.9
    MS SQL Server 2008 R2
    PHP 5.3

Here is an example

select 'dbr.accordion', 'Get Detail Reports';

select 'dbr.purehtml', 'Click a button below to display a "pop-up" report

select 'dbr.report', 'stored_procedure', 'menu', 'v1=-1', 'v2=-2', 'v3e=-3', 'v4=-4', 'v5=-5', 'v6=-6', 'v7=-7', 'v8=1' select 'dbr.list', 'hlist' select DISTINCT field from database select 'dbr.embed_object', 'menu', 'popup'

select 'dbr.accordion', 'Next Section';

select 'dbr.purehtml', @infotext

select 'dbr.accordion.close'

2. myDBR Team, Key Master

Do you have "compatibility view" on in IE8? Turn it off or move the dbr.embed_object outside the accordion.

--
    myDBR Team

3. It seems from this article that as a web developer this would be accomplished through adding HTTP headers or <Meta> tag within the <Head> tag. Is that correct?

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/956197

I can't take care of it as a Sys Admin since I don't have access to all the computers that will access the application in this way.

The PHP that generates the page is compiled and closed to access, so I'm not clear how I would make the required adjustments to HTTP headers and/or <Meta> tag to accomplish this for all who might be access using IE8+.

If this is a requirement for myDBR to function properly within IE8+ does it make any sense for the HTTP headers or <Meta> tag to be added to the code base of myDBR or am I missing something.

I've found other work arounds for my own particular situation, but I thought your organization would want to know about this "feature" or that it might be helpful to others. If not, sorry for mentioning it.

4. myDBR Team, Key Master

The behavior you described seemed to happen only when "compatibility view" was on and only in cases when the dbr.embed_object was placed inside the accordion.

"Compatibility view" is a IE8/IE9 feature where the browser makes same rendering errors as IE7. Thre is no need to use this setting with myDBR.

It seems from this article that as a web developer this would be accomplished through adding HTTP headers or <Meta> tag within the <Head> tag. Is that correct?

You can set the option on/off from the IE toolbar:

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/ie/archive/2008/08/27/introducing-compatibility-view.aspx

--
    myDBR Team

5. I have no control over the toolbars of folks who will be coming to use the application.

This can also be set in the code of the generated page. This from the article you just referenced:

If you develop pages according to modern web standards and use the DOCTYPE directive to indicate layout mode, Internet Explorer behaves just as you would expect – Quirks DOCTYPEs map to Quirks mode and Standards DOCTYPEs map to IE8 Standards mode. And, just as in Beta 1, you can opt-out of IE8 Standards mode via <META> tag / HTTP header.

The best way to ensure users have a great experience with your website, and thus don’t have to use the Compatibility View feature at all, is to test your site using Internet Explorer 8 and update it as necessary. In the event that a user selects Compatibility View for your site, you can “bring them back” to your desired layout mode via use of the version targeting <META> tag / HTTP header. A new content value, ‘IE=EmulateIE8’, rounds out the list of supported values and assists in this particular scenario.

Content Value

Details

IE=EmulateIE8

Display Standards DOCTYPEs in IE8 Standards mode; Display Quirks DOCTYPEs in Quirks mode. Use this tag to override compatibility view on client machines and force Standards to IE8 Standards.
    The presence of the <META> tag / header serves as an indication that the site has been updated to support IE8 and its value “wins” over whatever mode Compatibility View on the client would have resulted in. The presence of the tag / header also has some other side effects. For one, it triggers clean-up of the user list entry, ensuring that long-term the client’s user list gets pruned and you don’t have to keep the <META> tag / header in place forever. (BTW, the user list also gets pruned when you choose to delete browser history). For another, presence of the tag / header causes the top-level command bar icon for Compatibility View to not be displayed, effectively preventing most users from adding your site to the Compatibility View list.

A new tag in the User Agent string allows for detection of clients viewing your site in Compatibility View. This tag is also present in the “normal” Internet Explorer 8 User Agent string.

Compatibility View:
    User-Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 7.0; Windows NT 6.0; Trident/4.0; SLCC1; Media Center PC 5.0; .NET CLR 3.5.21022)

Updated IE8 UA String:
    User-Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 8.0; Windows NT 6.0; Trident/4.0; SLCC1; Media Center PC 5.0; .NET CLR 3.5.21022)
    Finally, an update to the Developer Toolbar completes the feature set. The new ‘Browser Mode’ menu lets you modify how Internet Explorer behaves as well as how it reports its version to servers and websites. This lets you use Internet Explorer 8 to see what your site looks like in IE8 (the default), what your site looks like in IE7, and what your site looks like for users in IE8 who are running in Compatibility View.

I have no control over that either, as it is compiled code.

I'm wondering whether the myDBR Team recognizes this as a problem and has any plan to address in future releases. Would be nice to know, so I (others using the product) can plan a strategy of support surrounding IE.

_
    hpcalaf

6. I'm taking advantage of using the embedded popup links within the accordion as a ui method that makes it helpful for the users who will be visiting my site to navigate and display information in a meaningful way.

There are of course other methods, and I will use these as workaround. This one using the embedded popup within the accordion worked very nicely however, and it would be nice to have it as a navigation possibility.

7. myDBR Team, Key Master

There are two problems here.

If IE8 is run under compatibility view it, identifies itself as IE7 and uses the buggy IE7 rendering engine. This combined with your example where the "select 'dbr.embed_object', 'menu', 'popup'" command is inside the accordion, causes the problem.

As said, if you just move the 'dbr.embed_object' command outside the accordion definition, everything is fine, even if run in IE7 rendering engine.

--
    myDBR Team

8. So the Team's recommendation is that "select 'dbr.embed_object', 'menu', 'popup'" command should not be used inside the accordion, and is not supported. You might consider adding that to the documentation.

I'll proceed accordingly.

You must log in to post.