Editing Large Text Fields via Linked Report Popup

(4 posts) (2 voices)

Tags:

No tags yet.

1. jdluth, Member

Good day! I have a linked report that generates a popup to allow the user to edit a record. One element of that record is a notes section. When editing this field, it looks like we are running into issues once a certain length is reached.

For example, this will work just fine:

At vero eos et accusamus et iusto odio dignissimos ducimus qui blanditiis praesentium voluptatum deleniti atque corrupti quos dolores et quas molestias excepturi sint occaecati cupiditate non provident, similique sunt in culpa qui officia deserunt mollitia animi, id est laborum et dolorum fuga. Et harum quidem rerum facilis est et expedita distinctio. Nam libero tempore, cum soluta nobis est eligendi optio cumque nihil impedit quo minus id quod maxime placeat facere possimus, omnis voluptas assumenda est, omnis dolor repellendus. Temporibus autem quibusdam et aut officiis debitis aut rerum necessitatibus saepe eveniet ut et voluptates repudiandae sint et molestiae non recusandae. Itaque earum rerum hic tenetur a sapiente delectus, ut aut reiciendis voluptatibus maiores alias consequatur aut perferendis doloribus asperiores repellat.

However, if I double this length, when I click on the button to perform the update, no action is taken or response is made by the application. For my current use case, I have a total of 1,839 characters that won't allow for editing. When I click edit as well on this block of text, the popup will never show up.

Can you direct me to the right approach to be able to edit larger bodies of text? Let me know what additional details you need from me.

2. myDBR Team, Key Master

If you create an editable form with dbr.report, the parameters are passed using HTTP's GET method (the URL you see in browser's address bar). The amount of data that can be passed depends on the browser used, the limit being usually around 2000 characters.

If you edit very long texts, you can use dbr.editable which allows unlimited length as it uses HTTP's POST method.

--
    myDBR Team

3. jdluth, Member

Alright, I understand that use for editing and that solves the editing a field situation. That leads me to my next use case. How would I handle the situation where I need to add/create a new record where an editable column doesn't apply?

For my use case, I have a table of records and I want a user to be able to click a column/icon to "add" a new note entry. To do this, I'd need a new pop-up to show up and it would need to support a longer string of text.

Is there functionality in myDBR that I can take advantage of that would support that use case?

4. myDBR Team, Key Master

If you update to the latest version, you can use dbr.report option 'http_method=post'. With the option myDBR uses HTTP POST instead of GET to get the linked report thus allowing longer parameter data.

select 'dbr.report', 'sp_DBR_add_new_row', 'popup', 'http_method=post';

select 'dbr.button', 'Add a new row';
    select 'dummy;

--
    myDBR Team

You must log in to post.