Server Side "Pagination" to Reduce Load Times for Large Result Sets?

(3 posts) (2 voices)
  1. rpark, Member

Hi,
    I am aware that MYDBR has a dbr.pager class which enables client-side pagination of result sets.

The problem with this is that with a very large result set, the web server has to parse it all out and it takes a long time. Given the fact that pagination is necessary anyway, it would be much more optimal to do this on the server side so that only the current page subset of results needs to be parsed by the web server...

Perhaps I am looking at this from the wrong context, but is there a way to load results in chunks instead of relying on client-side pagination (which does not solve the slow loading issue).

Thank you kindly!

2. myDBR Team, Key Master

Hi,
    you can fetch the data n rows at the time and then use a linked report link to fetch the next/selected set of rows. You can utilize `LIMIT` in MySQL and `OFFSET/FETCH NEXT` in SQL Server.

Instead of showing very large results set as a list to user, you might want to consider filtering the report so that user does not have to go through thousands of rows / tens of pages with hundreds or rows. myDBR offers multiple ways of filtering the data (parameters, emnedded parameters, dbr.searchable etc).

--
    myDBR Team

3. rpark, Member

Fair enough, I will look into using a linked report to iterate the LIMIT in the query..

Thanks

You must log in to post.