OEM License with Wildcard Domain

(6 posts) (2 voices)

Tags:

No tags yet.

1. pfsit, Member

Looking to set up other clients with reports created but tied to their data. Want to know best practices for Licensing and database settings.

Does the OEM license allow me to have separate Database and WildCard Domains? Could I buy one OEM license and have all install instances under *.VMReports.com and be good, even if using separate databases? Or will I have to buy separate Premium Licenses?

i.e. - PFS.VMReports.com, ECC.VMReports.com, MAH.VMReports.com

Also, currently I have data in my companies local SQL Server. Does the licensing change if I try to keep all servers with local MyDBR databases?

Last question I promise! - if I have the website hosted in the cloud but with a local database, the data will have to upload to the cloud correct and then be re-downloaded to be displayed in the browser?

Just trying to decide if I need to load into a central database nightly for all customers

2. myDBR Team, Key Master

Does the OEM license allow me to have separate Database and WildCard Domains? Could I buy one OEM license and have all install instances under *.VMReports.com and be good, even if using separate databases? Or will I have to buy separate Premium Licenses?

When you serve reports outside your own organization, you will need to use the OEM license. You have to have a license for each myDBR installation. A single myDBR installation can acess as many databases you need and serve as many users you need.

A myDBR license is tied into the hostname, so you can have one generic (like reports.VMReports.com) instance serving all the users. With OEM license you can organize the users based on their organization and use that information to limit the data / reports they can access.

Also, currently I have data in my companies local SQL Server. Does the licensing change if I try to keep all servers with local MyDBR databases?

Not sure what you mean by this. Do you have a) separate SQL Servers for each customer or b) separate database for each customer?

Last question I promise! - if I have the website hosted in the cloud but with a local database, the data will have to upload to the cloud correct and then be re-downloaded to be displayed in the browser?

The web server running the application and the database server with the data can be separate servers. Whether you put one or both of them in the cloud / host them yourself, is fully up to you. The only thing needed that the application can access the database.

--
    myDBR Team

3. pfsit, Member

Ideally looking to use separate SQL Servers for each customer (they host their own data in parallel with the business system).

If the data could all be handled locally without being sent off site that would be perfect (for performance). Not sure how this piece is handled - I am assuming if I have a local database server tied to a cloud hosted website the data will have to go
    Local Server Stored Procedure -> Report Data -> Cloud Webserver -> Local Client

Versus
    Cloud Server -> Local Client Browser |--\ To prevent data from uploading/downloading back to local network
    Local Server -> Local Client Browser |--/

That is the other piece - trying to decide if it would be faster to extract/upload local data to a centralized Cloud Database, or have each client go Local Database -> Webserver

Thanks for all of your help!

4. myDBR Team, Key Master

Unless you have very (emphasis on "very") slow connection between the web server and the database, the connection speed will not usually be the deciding factor regardless if it is cloud / local (assuming you will not be transferring huge amounts of data).

The speed is highly dependent on how you optimize your reports, and the amount of data you have in your system vs the performance of the database server.

--
    myDBR Team

5. pfsit, Member

I have just run into issues on our local installation where a query that takes 8-10 seconds to run on the server will take a while to process in myDBR.

Hindsight that is probably mostly just the browser trying to paginate the ~100k records.

6. myDBR Team, Key Master

You probably want to resign the report. There is no point of showing 100K rows to user. Even if user goes through 10 rows / sec, it would take close to 3 hours to go through all of them (not counting the paging).

Try to think what are the logical parameters for the report that make sense to user or present a high level summary with drill-down functionality.

myDBR Team

You must log in to post.