Copy without converting formatted numbers to string

(5 posts) (2 voices)

Tags:

No tags yet.

1. maron, Member

Hello.

I have found the copy table button very useful and use it a lot to copy to Google Sheets which is our primary spreadsheet application.

Could the copy button always honour numbers as numbers - now I get numbers formatted as strings when we paste - requiring me to edit the report.

Best regards,

Maron

2. myDBR Team, Key Master

Maron,
    If your number preference matches the Google Spreadsheet one, the numbers should remain as numbers. Google Spreadsheet does not understand thousand separators or different decimal separators though.

We can take a look if something could be done about it although it is more of a Google Spreadsheet problem regarding the thousand separators.
    --
    myDBR Team

3. maron, Member

Us Icelanders are a 3rd world country for Google - and at best 4th class citizens.

It took them 7 years to support our clock (UTC) on Android - no kidding: https://issuetracker.google.com/issues/36957647

Even if their support for the Icelandic locale is sadly missing in Google Spreadsheets, then GS runs circles around Excel for our usage purposes (and I'm a long term Excel user).

It is true the workaround I can use after some testing is to convert every spreadsheet to the German locale before pasting, but this has its downsides...

However it would be better if I could control the number format in copied data through preferences or that it would be treated the same way as numbers in csv files (csv files do not contain thousand separators).

4. myDBR Team, Key Master

Maron,
    the best way to transfer the myDBR report to a Google Sheet is to do an Excel export and then import it. This way you retain all formatting and formulas.

However, the copy-to-clipboard might be good enough in many cases. We added an option that removes the formatting from the numbers and uses the decimal separator that you use in GS, so the copy-paste plays well with GS limitations. it is not perfect, but neither is the copy-paste to Google Sheet. You can try it out with a definition in the user/defaults.php:

$mydbr_defaults['copy_to_clipboard']['decimal_separator'] = ',';

--
    myDBR Team

5. maron, Member

Thanks for this - we have been using the Excel to Google conversion which is often good but in many cases a copy / paste of a single table in a report which is 10x faster than downloading and uploading.

You must log in to post.