Using Plain text parameter

(3 posts) (2 voices)

Tags:

1. duane, Member

Hi!

I've created a report where I want one of the parameters to be plain text AND to use the plain text parameter query type to auto-populated (linked parameters) the value IF it exists. The challenge comes:
    1) When it doesn't exist and I'd like the field to remain a free plain text field (right now it says parameter not available)
    2) Even if it does exist, keep the field editable so they can change if it it isn't correct.

Is there a way to do this now?

2. myDBR Team, Key Master

Just to clarify. You've got two parameters, what are the parameter types (varchar?). What are the parameter queries and types associated to the parameters?

1) When it doesn't exist and I'd like the field to remain a free plain text field (right now it says parameter not available)

The linked parameter will return "parameter not available" if the linked parameter query does not return anything. You can return an empty string in that case to prevent the "parameter not available" appearing.

2) Even if it does exist, keep the field editable so they can change if it it isn't correct.

What is preventing this? What is the parameter query type associated for the seconf parameter?

--
    myDBR Team

3. duane, Member

Your questions helped me solve this :-)

Beofre I was using ifnull in the select statement, but if the select statement returns no rows, ifnull doesn't work. So instead I embedded that code select statement in another ifnull((select ....), '') and it worked find after that - thanks!

You must log in to post.