More detailed error logging?

(3 posts) (2 voices)
  1. duane, Member

Hi again,

On the documentation page at https://mydbr.com/doc/?manage.statistics.html it says "Statistics without run end time are reports whose execution has failed."

I have been trying to diagnose a problem that has been recurring only with some users over the last few weeks. Essentially for unauthenticated reports, some users get the generic message:

"Unfortunately we could not complete your request. Please contact your system admin."

that a report at a specific URL isn't working and to contact the admin. But the error logs only tell me (via the xero execution time) what might have failed but not why.

When I try it, it works fine and for many other people it seems to work fine too. I've tried replicating it both authenticated and unauthenticated and in different browsers, but it always works fine for me.

Is there any way to either capture and record the error so it can be diagnosed (much like there is detailed error reporting on-page when logged in as admin)? Maybe it could be automatically added to a new error table that is related to the statistics table so an admin can diagnose and fix the errors? I see three possible options:

1. Record the error in the existing statistics table in a new column
    2. Record just the errors in a error log associated with the statistics table
    3. Add option to display the actual error to unauthenticated and insufficient privilege people do they can report it to the admin
    4. Email the error the the admin so it can be used to diagnose the problem.

2. myDBR Team, Key Master

What yoru users are seeing is a generic error message that does not reveal any technical details. To show more verbose error messages, add following line to user/defaults.php:

$mydbr_defaults['server_error']['show_full_error_message_to_non_admin'] = true;

--
    myDBR Team

3. duane, Member

Super - that is one option I was hoping to find!

You must log in to post.