dynamically linked queries

(10 posts) (2 voices)

Tags:

No tags yet.

1. -nth-, Member

I'm attempting to create my first set of linked parameters. I think I'm following the instructions. I've got my report working and I've added an additional parameter (parameter 4) that references the previous parameter. My parameter 4 code is:
    select ClientID, ClientName from ClientData..Master where ClientID = mydbr_param3;

However I get an error that says "DB error Invalid column name 'mydbr_param3'."

Am I missing something?

Thanks,
    -nth-

2. myDBR Team, Key Master

What is the input type of parameter 3 and parameter 4 that you are using?

--
    myDBR Team

3. -nth-, Member

Input types for both are Popup.

4. myDBR Team, Key Master

The parameter query is ok and should work, so there is something else wrong with your parameters. Could you send some more information how your parameters are defined and where and when you get the error from.

--
    myDBR Team

5. -nth-, Member

I'm looking through them again. Once difference I see from my initial post is that technically the parameters a separated by another parameter. So it's more like parameter4 is calling parameter2 (not parameter3). Would this make any difference?

6. myDBR Team, Key Master

You are free to choose any parameter you want as long as they are select lists or radio buttons.

--
    myDBR Team

7. -nth-, Member

For further clarification of this; if I had 3 parameters on a report, the first 2 being dates (start and end dates) and the third parameter being a popup (list), I couldn't get the third parameter to use a WHERE clause to narrow results by date?

In other words the first 2 are "default" type parameters and the third is a "popup" type that references the first 2 like this:

SELECT FooId, FooName from FooDB..FooTable WHERE FooDate BETWEEN mydbr_param1 AND mydbr_param2

8. myDBR Team, Key Master

Yes, this is correct.

We might add capability to bind into any parameter. For now it is working against radio buttons and select lists as they always have an value. This is more of an usability issue for the end user.

--
    myDBR Team

9. -nth-, Member

I'd like to see the capability added to bind to any parameter (the date one especially).
    I understand the issue that would come up with an empty value. Could you simply require a value for the parameter types that need it? I.E. the required flag could be turned on for any free form user input parameter that is referenced in another parameter (or at least have the "Run Report" behave like it's required).

10. myDBR Team, Key Master

We'll take a look at it.

--
    myDBR Team

You must log in to post.