What privileges are needed to see the Admin Tools menu?

(7 posts) (2 voices)
  1. bobpolis, Member

When using database accounts for authentication, what privileges are needed to see the Admin Tools menu?

If I log into myDBR using my MySQL root account, I see the Admin Tools and can use myDBR without problems.
    However, if I log into myDBR as a non-root user, I can't.

My non-root user was given the following privileges:
    GRANT ALL ON mydbr.* TO student@localhost;

Of course, this user has all the necessary privileges on his own database as well.

What extra is needed? What am I missing?

Regards,
    Bob Polis

2. myDBR Team, Key Master

Admin Tools access is determined by the fact if user is defined to be admin in myDBR or not. See Admin Tools->Users.

myDBR operates against database with single username. myDBR authentication (myDBR users / SSO-users / LDAP-users) are separate from database access.

--
    myDBR Team

3. bobpolis, Member

Hm, so if I have 100 students who need to be able to create reports, and who already have valid MySQL accounts, I *still* have to make all of them a myDBR user with Admin rights?

What's the use then of being able to use existing MySQL accounts? Only to view reports created by Admins?

4. myDBR Team, Key Master

Use of MySQL accounts is something that is actually quite seldom used in myDBR. Usually it is easier to handle the users in myDBR side.

If you really want to use MySQL accounts, we can send you a change in myDBR's internal procedure to allow admin usage for all students. Alternatively you can use the myDBR accounts and generate the logins directly from MySQL logins.

Just let us know which authentication method you prefer to use. We can help you to set it up.

P.S. Having 100 students with all having admins rights sounds more than a handful ;)

--
    myDBR Team

5. bobpolis, Member

Let's rephrase:

Suppose I want a group of students use myDBR, and each of them need to be able to create reports, but they should not be able to see each other's reports, how should I do that?

6. myDBR Team, Key Master

For now you cannot do that. In order to create reports you need to be an admin, and, by default, admin sees all the reports.

We would need to make some additions to myDBR to support your use case where there is multiple 'report creators', each with their 'own' reports.

--
    myDBR Team

7. myDBR Team, Key Master

We'll take a look what could be done here.

--
    myDBR Team

You must log in to post.