Google Mashup Performance

(2 posts) (2 voices)
  1. bsteele, Member

I have a query with 500 addresses that I'm using to build a pushpin map. It takes about 90 seconds. Any suggestions on how to speed this up? I have other datasets in the thousands that I'd also like to use, but am concerned they will timeout or users will get frustrated and give up.

Thanks!
    Brian

2. myDBR Team, Key Master

The current Google Maps extension is not optimized with large number of markers. When number of markers increases the time required to draw the map also increases. To have thousands of markers appear on map, one would need to optimize the extension.

The source code is included so you can do it yourself. It has also been in our TODO list for awhile now.

--
    myDBR Team

3. myDBR Team, Key Master

[EDIT Jan 8th]

The slow part of the Google maps generation is that if you use addresses (instead of coordinates) to generate the map, the address is convertd to geocodes (latitude/longitude) prior it will be passed to Google Maps. Google limits the number of free geocode queries one can make in a given time. myDBR complies to this and therefore large number of markers takes time.

If you have fixed addresses and can convert them to latitude and longitude when the data is recorded, maps even with thousands of makers will be draws in matter of seconds.

--
    myDBR Team

You must log in to post.