My wish list :-)

(9 posts) (3 voices)
  1. duane, Member

Hi Guys,

3.5 seems to be another great update - congrats. Since you have encouraged 'feature requests / improvements' in the past, here is my list.

- Option to have an inline form auto-save (duplicate of http://mydbr.com/forums/topic.php?id=592)

- A Google Charts extension so I can do motion charts, tree maps, venn charts, combo charts, and even QRcodes, etc.

- Improving the Google Maps extension to allow hundreds or thousands of points but 'manageable' with different zoom levels (also this approach)

- A WYSIWYG HTML editor I can optionally make appear in an editable cell (usually large text field) for people to add/edit html text

- The ability for users to upload a file/image (likely with type restrictions) into an appropriate field

- HTML5 charts (this one I'm not so sure about other than it seems to be a direction others are starting to offer)

These all relate to real things I would like to do with myDBR if it was possible.

Hope this helps :-) Obviously if some of this is already possible, just point it out.

Cheers,

Duane

2. myDBR Team, Key Master

Thanks for the suggestions. You are not using myDBR just for reporting, are you?

Some comments on these:

Option to have an inline form auto-save (duplicate of http://mydbr.com/forums/topic.php?id=592)

This is in the TODO list.

Improving the Google Maps extension to allow hundreds or thousands of points but 'manageable' with different zoom levels (also this approach)

This would require coordinates to be known as Google is throttling the goecode fetching for most users. myDBR could do this for existing data.

A WYSIWYG HTML editor I can optionally make appear in an editable cell (usually large text field) for people to add/edit html text

Should be quite straightforward.

The ability for users to upload a file/image (likely with type restrictions) into an appropriate field

Where would you want to store the files? Filesystem / database?

HTML5 charts (this one I'm not so sure about other than it seems to be a direction others are starting to offer)

This would provide opportunities with interactive charts. Note that myDBR already supports SVG charts.

--
    myDBR Team

3. duane, Member

You are not using myDBR just for reporting, are you?

Well - I like to consider it extended and interactive reporting :-) I see reporting as connecting and presenting data. By having all the database accessible via a single tool (mydbr) it allows me to do things that I would otherwise need a developer for and prototyping things. So for example:

a) You'll see from one of my previous posts that I was generating HTML invoices from data accessible from mydbr. It means I can report on their status and update things as the situation changes - and I can automate emails to email chasers to people when specific conditions are met (e.g. unpaid invoice).

b) I'm working on a reporting system for multiple NGOs and when I get their results, I'd like to add commentary (interpretation) to the report results. Doing this through-the-web page is the easiest as I don't need to go into the backend.

c) For both a and b, the HTML editor would make things much easier (e.g. customising the emails to people and adding interpretative analysis to reports)

d) The ability to upload a file (e.g. stored in the DB as I don't see these being large files like video!!) could be used in a few ways:
    - provide more data to compliment the data already held
    - allow people to upload other examples of how they'd like to see the information graphed (in a less messy way then emailing it to me!)
    - enable people to upload photos for a personal profile

RE: Google Maps -

This would require coordinates to be known as Google is throttling the goecode fetching for most users. myDBR could do this for existing data.

That's reasonable - so are you saying mydbr can do layering or could do it? I'm thinking of situations where you can drill-down into spatial data and layers/levels of granularity are perfect for that.

Another idea:
    - integrate a commenting tool (e.g. Disqus or a home-baked system stored in the sql DB) to allow commenting to be enabled on reports so people can ask questions and give feedback

Overall I see reporting as an interactive and social process - a conversation: data is explored and trail visualisations are made > decisions are made about the initial visualisations > reports are produced > people see them, ask more questions > reports are improved and clarified > and so on.

Also, there was no comment on -

A Google Charts extension so I can do motion charts, tree maps, venn charts, combo charts, and even QRcodes, etc.
    - was this because you don't plan to do it, it is easy or you missed it?

Anyway - this was called a wish list. I'm already happy with mydbr and still aren't using even 20% of its capability - but since you are so good at listening and engaging I thought I'd put it out there :-)

Cheers,

Duane

4. myDBR Team, Key Master

Overall I see reporting as an interactive and social process - a conversation: data is explored and trail visualisations are made > decisions are made about the initial visualisations > reports are produced > people see them, ask more questions > reports are improved and clarified > and so on.

This was actually one of the design principles when we started development of myDBR. Provide a tool that would allow report creation so fast that you can actually interact with the end user while developing the report. Gradual improvement of reports gives the best results, the time between the intermediate result and feedback should be short enough.

Adding a (preferably internal) commenting system to myDBR is a thing that has been on the TODO-list almost from the start. This is especially needed on larger organizations where users and the report creators are not directly talking to each other.

As for using external services (Google charts, Disqus) would need to bring unique benefits (like Google Maps, SMS gateways etc) as many organizations do not want to share their data with third parties. As an example, some of the charting features provided by Google et al, are nice, but would not bring this unique benefits. Having said that, there is absolutely no things preventing usage of these if you use the extension API.

We'll put your suggestions under consideration. Thanks for the feedback.

--
    myDBR Team

5. Jumping onto this

https://developers.google.com/chart/image/docs/gallery/new_map_charts

http://www.eggheadcafe.com/tutorials/csharp/d21d8b31-bcb7-4777-9637-49b71fed6d38/generating-a-heat-map-with-google-chart-api.aspx

Being able to do a version of these geographic heat maps would be great since many times we are trying to summarize our geographic data to give a sense of scale. Tons of buttons or using map markers with numbers don't always convey the data as well.

Thanks for the consideration,
    Trevor

6. myDBR Team, Key Master

- Option to have an inline form auto-save (duplicate of http://mydbr.com/forums/topic.php?id=592)

If you update to the latest version, this is now the default behavior.

(You can revert back to old behavior with option 'onblur':'cancel'.)

--
    myDBR Team

7. duane, Member

RE: auto-save...works great!! (I didn't try out reverting to the old behaviour). Thanks!

RE: Commenting system - a system that uses the existing authentication system and doesn't rely on external accounts would be best - I only mentioned external options in case it wasn't something you wanted to build-in :-)

RE: design principles - great to see you had this idea from the beginning - it gives me even more confidence I chose the right reporting platform!

RE: external services bringing unique benefits (e.g. Google Charts).
    While there is a lot of duplication between Google Charts and MyDBR (each has unique aspects), my suggestion for using Google charts was partly in case since the external libraries you use don't seem to yet include many of these - and thus rather than you programming motion charts, tree maps, venn charts, combo charts, heat maps (added by Trevor) and QRcodes, you could simply 'jump start' access to these chart types relatively easily until the underlying libraries (ChartDirector, GraphWiz) do support them. this means you take the best from each library/api so that MyDBR users have the widest range of choices regardless of the underlying technology.

...in the meantime I might try my hand at extension writing!

8. duane, Member

Hi MyDBR team - I'll just keep add things from time-to-time to this 'wish list' as I think of them :-) No need to reply unless I can already do it or it gets added as a new feature.

So - latest idea:
    I'd love to be able to define 'templates' on a report-level for the pageview 'view'. This would go beyond CSS and allow me to separate HTML from data when I define how I want the pageview report to look while retaining all the normal myDBR pageview the features (like inline editing).

If I try and do this now I have to revert to pure-html mode and break all the inline editing (and probably many other) features.

9. duane, Member

Just adding to my wish list :-)

It would be great if there was a setting to require password change on first login. I know there is a setting to force a password change after a certain period of time, but that applies to all users. When I add a bunch of new users and have to set their passwords, it would be nice if the first thing when they login in, they were forced to set their own.

You must log in to post.