Collation issues

(5 posts) (2 voices)

Tags:

1. shem, Member

In MySQL workbench I changed my "System Variables"
    for the Collation Variables to persist as
    utf8mb4_general_ci
    because that is what our application databases use.
    Now every time I try to run a myDBR report from the mydBR Portal I get
    (1267): Illegal mix of collations (utf8mb4_0900_ai_ci,IMPLICIT) and (utf8mb4_general_ci,IMPLICIT) for operation '='
    SQL: call sp_MyDBR_ReportNameGet(89,'dba',2,'');

2. shem, Member

Actually now I can't even login.
    As Soon as I go to
    http://localhost/mydbr/index.php?a=login
    I get
    (1267): Illegal mix of collations (utf8mb4_0900_ai_ci,IMPLICIT) and (utf8mb4_general_ci,IMPLICIT) for operation '='
    SQL: call sp_MyDBR_GetOptions('',0);

3. myDBR Team, Key Master

In MySQL and MariaDB you can ser character set / collation for multiple levels; server, database, table and column. For existing tables, you need to chnage the collation for the columns.

In order to change the collation for existing tables, you need to chaneg the collation for each column. Google the queries that let you generate the needed MODIFY queries,

--
    myDBR Team

4. shem, Member

I reverted my changes to the "System Variables" so I am not dealing with the serious problem I mentioned above.
    the reason I originally made those changes was not because of specific tables and the collation defined for those tables.
    Rather it was for temporary table that my stored procedures were creating and it was causing a collation inconsistency, so I would like to ask if there is a myDBR wide collation definition somewhere that is defaulting temp table to utf8mb4_0900_ai_ci and how can I change this default to utf8mb4_general_ci

5. myDBR Team, Key Master

myDBR does not set the collation but relies on the server/database setting. Check your server settings for the collations:

show variables like '%collation%'

--
    myDBR Team

You must log in to post.